10 Tips on ERP Implementation
From being a business management software program to becoming an integral part of a business, ERP solutions have come a long way. Not only do they smooth a business process, but they also aid in terms of helping to boost overall growth. With the complexities involved in business – think countries, time zones and multiple activities – it’s easy to see how chaos would ensue. With an ERP solution however, you could see the aforementioned chaos ironed out thanks to its systematic design.
Watch your business streamline and accelerate like never before. The first step however, is implementing such a system. Here we’ve gathered together our top tips on ERP Implementation, to help make it as smooth a process as possible.
Successful ERP Implementation Made Easy
- Set Your Objectives – ERP or business management software provides you with a vast amount of solutions to a number of issues. The question is however, what are your problem areas? What are your objectives? What do you want ERP to help you with? It’s essential to identify the problem you want help rectifying in order to factor in changes in the future and consider scalability.
- Define The Scope/Team – did you know one of the primary causes for delays within ERP Implementation is an unclear definition of its actual requirement. You must synchronise the whole company/team in order to achieve a smooth and efficient implementation process.
- Evaluate Your Options – for a truly successful implementation, it’s important for management and those primarily using the system to fully evaluate it. Invest time in looking at your options. This is especially important if you’re considering customising your ERP system as this could attract more complexities.
- Data Migration – ERP implementation can be a huge change. Identifying the data that’s needed for a successful migration will mean only moving over the necessary data. While you could transfer data as a whole, this could burden the software. Ensuring only necessary data is transferred makes for a swift and efficient process. Data migration is often the weakest link in a successful ERP implementation so it’s important this is taken care of fully.
- Check The Infrastructure – the infrastructure on which the business management software is going to be run must have the scope to cope. You’ll also need the options available to update as and when needed. Limitations here could spell disaster.
- Configure – one of the most beneficial aspects of ERP software is that it can be customised. In some cases, you may find there is no need for configuration however, if there is, this needs to be considered carefully with significant research going into the needs of your company and what you’re looking to achieve with this software.
- Allow For Change – unlike particular fixed system assets, ERP software is a continually changing environment, aiding not only the work life but the environment as a whole for the better. This would affect all operations, not just a few. Care must be taken to inform all of the changes ahead and communicate them positively.
- Tech and Knowledge – from improper configuration to poorly trained personnel, the reasons for a failed ERP implementation are varied. Ensuring all staff are trained on the necessary technology is therefore paramount. This ensures fewer issues and a much smoother transfer due to a lack of hurdles through expanded knowledge of the software involved.
- Project Management – after careful consideration and evaluation of the above, careful project management is crucial, especially during the testing period. Testing is of paramount importance prior to Go Live to ensure full user acceptance.
- Final Go Live – once full checks and proper implementation has taken place, it’s well advised to carry out functionality tests as a safety precaution if anything.
Contact Us For ERP System Implementation Tips
ERP solutions aren’t a fixed asset and therefore require continued, periodic assessments. With NAV Experts however, you can now enjoy continued ongoing support to ensure your ERP software is running as efficiently as possible at all times. For more information, contact us today.